|“|| The Hunchback is here.|
- Hunchback taking off from the Helipad
Originally conceived as a medium-lift cargo helicopter for the navy in the 2030s, the the Mil Mi-40 – its avionics co-designed by an private Kazakh company – now serves in a variety of combat roles. Nicknamed the "Hunchback" by the ECA (adopted quickly by the Russians) for its peculiar airframe, this advanced twin rotor helicopter has been refitted to perform in the role of an attack helicopter as well. The VDV's version of the Hunchback is equipped with an armored cargo container that has enough internal space for up to eight fully equipped infantrymen. In order to provide immediate and decisive fire support to the ground troops after their deployment, this "assault transport" version is also armed with a powerful twin-barrel 23mm auto-cannon and has two weapon-hardpoints that can be loaded with free-falling thermobaric bombs, capable of causing havoc to large groups of infantry and light vehicles.
|Order the Hunchback to continuously drop a pair of thermobaric bombs at the target location until given a new order. The bombs cause 140 to 45 AURORA_BOMB over a radius of 30 to 60 plus 160 SURRENDER damage over a radius of 80. 2.5 seconds cooldown.|
Requires Thermobaric Ordnance.
Activate Goliath Defense System
|Employ electro-optical disruption techniques that prevents the helicopter from being targeted by enemy attacks and abilities for 4 seconds. 30 seconds cooldown.|
Requires Goliath System.
The Hunchback, unlike the Hind, lacks any form of air defense whatsoever and can easily fall prey to Harriers and groups of Vipers. The autocannon is also not adept at taking out armored vehicles and tanks, and approaching an Overlord with AA capabilities means certain death. The armor is not bad for an helicopter of its class, but it won't survive exposure to Twin Fangs or even small groups of Avengers.
- Can transport 8 infantry units
- Can attack using Machine gun
- Can use Goliath system to become intargetable (when upgraded)
- Gains thermobaric bombs (when upgraded)
- Dual thermobaric bombs are dropped
- Thermobaric bombs are highly effective against infantry, light vehicle groups and structures
- Thermobaric bombs require Hunchback to stop above the target
- Machine Gun is not effective against tanks
- Thermobaric bombs have a cooldown
- Cannot attack aircraft
- Goliath system only lasts for a few seconds
- Goliath system has a large cooldown
- The Hunchback's design seems to be drawn from several other helicopters:
- The tandem rotor layout from CH46 Sea Knight/CH47 Chinook.
- The cockpit from the Mi-24D/35 Hind.
- The hollow fuselage from the S61 Skycrane.
- The troops are transported within a (presumably) detachable cargo container. It is possible that the Mi-40 could stow a vehicle within the container, or latched where the cargo hold is.